##FEMA Disaster Assistance Application Instructions
The following Counties are eligible for one or more types of assistance from FEMA:
To begin, have the following available for the registration process:
- Social Security Card of the primary applicant or minor child who is a US Citizen, Non-citizen national or qualified alien.
- Financial information - Family’s total gross household income at the time of the disaster.
- Contact Information - Home address, phone number, and current mailing address.
- Insurance Information, if applicable.
- Pen and Paper - To record Registration ID number.
- Electronic Funds Transfer/Direct Deposit Information - If you are eligible for assistance and would prefer funds be transferred directly to your account.
- Go to www.disasterassistance.gov
- Enter your complete home address in the search bar.
- Click on the Apply Online button.
- Enter the captcha characters to continue.
- You should be welcomed with the pre-application screen. You are now ready to apply. The registration process will take 18-20 minutes.
- Pay close attention to the end of the application. You’ll be able to create an account. This will let you check back to see if you’re eligible and add supporting documents.
- If followed correctly, FEMA will send a temporary PIN number to your email.
If you need further information or assistance:
Call the FEMA Helpline at 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362). This number is also for users of 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS). TTY users can call 1-800-462-7585. Helpline services are available seven days a week from 7am to 11pm ET.
Call FEMA’s Internet Help Desk at 1-800-745-0243. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- After applying and creating an account, go back to www.disasterassistance.gov
- Hover your mouse on the Get Assistance drop-down menu.
- Select Check your status.
- Log in with your credentials. You’ll be asked to change the temporary PIN that FEMA provided via email.
- After logging in, you can check the status of the assistance type, eligibility, and more.
- Pay close attention to the tabs available on the home screen.
- The Correspondence tab lets you view all letters sent by FEMA regarding your application.
- The Upload Center tab lets you upload any supporting documents. This is essential for lodging reimbursement.
Small Business Administration (SBA) provides low-interest disaster loans to businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners, and renters. SBA disaster loans can be used to repair or replace the following items damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster: real estate, personal property, machinery and equipment, and inventory and business assets.
There are food pantries located the area distributing food to those who are having difficulties purchasing food. To locate your closest food pantry, please dial 2-1-1.
Visit www.DisasterAssistance.gov to apply for FEMA assistance online. If you experience difficulty applying online, you may also call 800.621.3362 / TTY 800.462.7585 to apply during standard hours of operation (7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Eastern Time), 7 days a week. You can also check your application status at DisasterAssistance.gov. Survivors have 60-days from the date of a declaration for Individual Assistance to apply for assistance.
FEMA Lodging (hotel/motel)
The Emergency Lodging Assistance program provides lodging reimbursement for pre-qualified individuals from designated disaster areas. The Federal Emergency Management Agency created the program to provide temporary shelter as a result of a Federal disaster declaration. To qualify, you must contact FEMA. P: 800.621.3362
Food Stamp Authorization Form (Only for customers currently receiving food stamp benefits)
To report food loss or to request replacement benefits, Food Stamp Customers can obtain the NC Food Assistance Replacement Authorization Form